If you have been recently injured in a bus accident, it’s important to know that you could be entitled to compensation! In fact, you could get more than you may be expecting in some cases. So, what do you do if you’ve recently been injured in a bus accident? Well, the first order of business is to get in touch with a lawyer who specializes in these cases.
However, it’s important to have some familiarity with the process before you begin. Luckily, this guide will give you all of the information that you need to have. Here’s what you need to know in order to determine what lawyer to choose and how to go about filing a lawsuit for a bus accident:
Bus Accidents Vary Greatly in Severity
If you hear the phrase “bus accident”, you’re probably thinking of a situation where a pedestrian was hit by a bus, which often results in death. While these situations do occur, the severity of the injuries that can be expected will vary greatly depending on the nature of the accident. No matter the bus type, be it a school bus, tour bus, metro, private bus, public bus, public transportation in general and beyond, accidents involving any of them can all result in catastrophic injuries and will demand experienced lawyers to work the case. In fact, all of the following scenarios are common types of bus accidents that could result in injury or wrongful death:
- Buses Hitting Pedestrians: Unfortunately, one of the most common accidents that involve a bus is hitting a pedestrian, which sadly often results in death.
- Buses Crashing Into An Electric Scooter/Car/Truck: If a bus crashes into a car or truck, it often will cause serious damage and often leads to serious injuries suffered by the occupants. Not only that but the car or truck is often totaled. This means that it will be possible and advisable to sue for losses caused by this damage.
- Buses Running Off of the Road: While these incidents are quite rare, they can lead to serious injuries affecting pedestrians and bicyclists on the street.
- Accidents Caused By Someone Pulling Out in Front of a Bus: If someone pulls out in front of a bus accidentally, it can lead to a serious accident. In fact, a collision with a bus as someone driving an electric scooter can lead to serious personal injuries, traumatic brain injuries, whiplash, other severe injuries, and even deaths. Though these actions are usually ruled to be the fault of the driver, it’s still important to talk to a lawyer in order to see if you have a case.
- Accidents Caused By a Bus Stopping Too Fast: If a bus stops too quickly, it can cause scooters and other vehicles to crash into them from behind.
You’ll Need to Make Sure Everything is Documented
It’s essential to ensure that you document everything related to the accident that you or a loved one has recently suffered. Always ensure that you keep records of all expenses related to medical bills.
This will allow you to be able to prove the injuries you suffered in court, and these records will have an essential role in ensuring that you can get the full amount of compensation you’re entitled to. These are a few tips that can help you to document everything effectively:
Always Make Sure That You Report the Incident Immediately
In order to win a lawsuit that’s related to a bus accident, it’s essential to report the incident immediately. Not only is this a crucial part of winning your case, but it’s also required by law in many cases. However, it’s important to know what needs to be included in the report. Luckily, a competent lawyer will be able to help you with this. Here’s what you always need to include in the report:
- Always make sure that the report mentions where the accident took place in a precise and clear manner. This will be an essential part of ensuring that the court is able to prove the legitimacy of your claim.
- Ensure that the report mentions how fast the bus driver was going at the time of the accident. If he/she went over the speed limit, this could influence the amount of compensation you’re entitled to.
- Always ensure that any other relevant factors are mentioned. For instance, if the conditions were poor at the time, it’s essential that it was determined whether or not the driver was adjusting his/her speed to be compatible with the road conditions.
- It’s important to make sure that you
- Make sure that you choose a lawyer who will provide testimony from other bus drivers, which will help you to confirm that the actions taken were negligent.
- Ensure that all aspects of the report are consistent. Inconsistencies can attract the attention of the defense, which can keep you from winning your case.
Keep a Journal of What Happened
One great way to ensure that you maintain proper records is journaling. Make sure that you keep a good track record of what happened during the incident by journaling it yourself. Even if a report has been filed, write down what happened yourself or record yourself speaking about it. This will ensure that you do not forget key facts that you’ll need your lawyer to present in the courtroom as evidence.
Properly Organize All Records
There’s a good chance that you’ll spend some time waiting for your hearing, and it will be essential to ensure that your records remain as well organized as possible during this time. Here are a few tips that can help you to ensure that your records of the incident are properly organized at all times:
- Make sure that you have folders either digitally or physically, which ensures that you’ll be able to find the records that you need as soon as you need them beyond the date of the accident.
- If you choose to hire a service for the storage of your records, it’s essential to always ensure that you pick a reputable company and/or software program.
- Ensure that you create a system when it comes to the organization of your records, and always stick to it.
How Does the Process of Filing the Lawsuit Work?
In order to file a lawsuit, it’s essential to be familiar with the process of filing one for this specific type of accident. Bus crashes can be a bit different than other vehicle-related accidents, and that’s because the bus in question is often owned by the city’s transit system, and the insurance company and lawyers follow may represent the state. Therefore, it will be the local government that you’re filing a case against.
However, that certainly does not mean that it’s hopeless or that you likely will not win your case. In fact, if you have a lawyer who is experienced with these cases, your chances are likely to be very good. Here’s what you should know about filing a lawsuit after an injury that you or someone close to you suffered during a bus accident:
- It’s important to have a realistic expectation with regard to what you need to expect with the case. This will ensure that you are able to approach the lawsuit that you’re filing in the right manner, and it will help to guide your lawyer on their strategy.
- Make sure that you quickly write down any new information that you receive about the circumstances of the crash. You never know what could be extremely important during your day in court.
Are There any Other Items That You Will You Need to Have?
If you are wondering what items you will need to file a successful lawsuit for a bus accident, it’s important to be familiar with a full range of what you can expect. Here are a few examples of the items that you’ll need:
- Photographs of the injuries and accident
- Statements made by eyewitnesses
- Traffic camera footage
What determines how much compensation you can get?
In order to ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve, it’s important to be familiar with the factors that impact the final compensation amount. These are a few of the most important factors that will go into determining this:
- The extent of the injuries
- The region of the state that you live in
- Whether or not the driver was determined to be negligent
- Whether or not the bus company/local government was negligent in maintaining the bus
In many cases, it’s possible to receive over a million dollars in compensation for wrongful death cases. Many other injuries caused by bus accidents can lead to tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation.
How common are bus accidents in California?
The answer to this question depends on where you are in the state. However, California has the highest rate of crashes involving pedestrians of any state, and these crashes occur at a rate that’s 25% higher than the national average. Not only that, but the collision rate is actually increasing.
A significant portion of these crashes involved a bus colliding with a person on a scooter. Luckily, a skilled lawyer will be able to help you to determine how the statistical patterns regarding bus accidents is likely to factor into your case.
What to do now? Your legal steps after a bus accident
The worst is over. At least, if you don’t consider the bus company’s predatory insurance adjusters and lawyers trying to minimize or deny your settlement.
Make sure you get the highest compensation, fast, with California’s best bus accident lawyers.
Bus accident injuries in California: How legal representation works
Bus operating companies in California are insured for millions of dollars. Get maximum compensation by hiring the best injury lawyer today.
Every day, dozens of bus operators cruise California’s busy, well-traveled roads.
On these roads, accidents happen often and – as you know all too well – people are harmed.
What you probably don’t know is that bus transport companies such as Los Angeles Charter Bus Company. Sun Diego Charter, First Transit – or Greyhound – are required by law to have large insurance policies covering injury cases.
As your injury lawyers, we’ll fight on your behalf to get maximum compensation – sometimes in the millions– from the bus company or its insurer, whether in court or in private settlement.
Types of bus accident injury Compensation
The right California transportation injury lawyer will claim much, much more than just medical bills on your behalf. Contact us for a FREE case evaluation, and we’ll give you an estimate on how much you could get in compensation.
- All medical bills, from doctor visits and medications to hospital stays, surgery and recovery aids
- Loss of future earnings due to lost time or permanent impairment of your ability
- Loss of life’s pleasures due to your bus accident injury
- Property loss or damage resulting from the bus accident
- Missed opportunities by failing to reach your destination in time
- Fear of road transportation following your bus accident
- Lost wages due to your inability to work
- Loss of consortium, or loss of a loved one
- Emotional distress
- Other damages
Legal Help Is Here For Your Bus Accident
Our expert California injury lawyers are ready to defend you in your bus accident case, injury, or negligence case. Our law firm is here to help. Contact us for a FREE evaluation. No win, no fee: you pay us only when we win your case. Feel free to review our roboust list of testimonials from previous clients.
Complete this form or call us at (888) 259-1113 we’re here for you 24/7 to help you with your bus accident claim.
Specialized Los Angeles Bus Accident Lawyers
At JT Legal Group, we’re highly specialized in bus and transportation-related injuries in California
Given the legal resources available to bus operators, you want nobody but the best to claim your rightful compensation for your accident injury. Get in touch today with our personal injury attorneys: your legal consultation is free and confidential.